In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Friday, February 17, 2006

Is the world round?


today i taught someone the world was round. i was in starbucks in kuwait and an older kuwaiti gentleman started asking me questions. he had just seen the movie big mamma 2 and wanted to ask me a few questions. mostly he wanted to know some words, liked grand (for a thousand), buck (for one dollar), jacked (like in car jacked), and what AP and SAT meant. then he started asking me geography questions. he wondered why the caribbean sea was a sea when sure it was attached to an ocean. he wondered where antartica was. finally he asked me what would happen if you walked south from canada. i explained that you would come to the USA and Mexico, but before I could go to far he stopped me. "No," he queried, "would you circle the world this way?" He really wasn't aware that you could circle the world, that the world was round. After I explained that you could go around the world, he seemed amazed. I found this fascinating. Moments like this are what I live overseas for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home