In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Year of the Rat Reading 6: A History of Eastern Arabia: the rise and development of Bahrain, Kuwait and Wahhabi Saudi Arabia


It is difficult to find good books on Kuwait. There really aren't that many. I just finished one though that was quite interesting. It covered the early years of the Kuwaiti royal family, way back in the 1700's. Unfortunately there isn't that much material from this time period and this is evident when reading the book. It was an okay read but it would have been more compelling if there had been more personal stories from the times. There aren't any good historical evidence though. So this book was mostly just scratching the surface. I did learn a lot about this region though. Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain have similar royal families, called the Uhud. This family established itself in this three states. They are free from Saudi influence to some extent, but the author rightly says they Wahhabists still have some sway in this region.
I have a few other books which might make my study of this region more interesting. I will let you know.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home