In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Friday, May 30, 2008

The Year of the Rat Reading 9: "Bangkok Haunts"


When I am not reading history books, I spend a little time reading detective novels. I used to think that being a detective would be the greatest job in the world, but I can also see myself getting beat up by criminals. So I became a teacher instead (and am just browbeaten by my young charges). So from time to time I pick up another mystery. This one is the third in an interesting series about a detective from Bangkok named Sonchai Jitpleecheep. He is a Buddhist offspring of a prostitute and an American G.I. I say he is Buddhist, because the books are full of information on the spiritual life of the average Buddhist in Thailand. They also talk a lot about prostitution, the drug trade, what it is like to be a foreigner in Thailand, and a lot of the action is set in an area I usually inhabit in Bangkok.
I wonder if I am really learning about the real Thailand though. For me Thailand is about eating hot food, buying lemon tea at the 7-11, eating Japanese food since it is so cheap there, taking trips on the Chao Praya river, and mostly just hanging out the mall watching movies. I guess I am stuck in some kind of cultural warp while there. I don't go into the whole bargirl scene for a couple of reasons. First I really don't like alcohol (and let me tell you, hanging out with drunks has never been my fondest joy or memory). I also don't like the whole exploitive nature of the trade there. I don't know if it is Jesus or Marx who taught me not to take advantage of the poor, but whoever it was it stuck.
But this book is an excellent way to get into the Thailand that I am sure exists.
This book was a real doozy. It is the third in the series and much better than the second one. It is hard to top the first one, but this one comes really close. It deals with the making of a snuff movie and the relationships that are in the Buddhist world between those who receive and those who are in debt spiritual. If you think Western religion has messed people up then you definitely want to stay away from Buddhism, at least how it is potrayed in this book. It seems to have as much control over the soul as any Catholic guilt could.
But if I say too much you will know the ending. Anyway, the title tells you a lot about this book. Bangkok and hauntings are two of the major characters. Read this one. I cannot recommend it enough. But if you haven't read the other two, start with them first.
Enjoy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home