In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Seven Wonders of Kuwait
I saw that there is a new list of the Seven Wonders of the World. So I started thinking: what are the Seven Wonders of Kuwait?
Number One: The Kuwait Towers
Topping anyone's list would be the Kuwait Towers. There are three of them. They are simply amazing. Probably more strikingly beautiful than anything you have ever seen. They were made by IKEA in 1973. Those Swedes are incredible. Actually the money to build them didn't come from oil. It came from ABBA.

Number Two: Independence Tower
Sometimes this is called Liberation Tower, but that is a misnomer. Kuwait was liberated from the Iraqis by Kuwaitis (and its allies, who really didn't do that much) in 1991. Someone was building this tower at the time (non-Swedes; though there is a belief that Bjorn Borg might have somehow been involved; here is a picture of him celebrating something, probably the liberation of Kuwait). This is really a big, fancy radio station. Kuwait has amazing radio, so I thank the tower. It is the 8th tallest tower in the world, or somewhere in that ballpark. I like radio and tv and I can see this tower from my apartment window.
Number Three: The Water Towers

There are a lot of towers of this list, but Kuwait does have some pretty neat water towers. Who would have thunk that water towers could be so cool. When I was walking around today in the 47 degree heat, I realized the importance of water towers. It would be nicer though if they could be painted black.

Number Four: The Dome of the Marina Mall
There are other malls in Kuwait, but only Marina has a dome. It is kind of like the Dome of the Rock, but in Kuwait. It is also made out of glass! Can you imagine the skills it took to put up a glass dome? Over a mall? The new mall in town is called the Avenues. It has an IKEA but not a dome.
Number Five: The Corniche
Before I went to Lebanon I used to hear about their corniche. When I went there I realized Kuwait has a better one. If you want to walk for miles and miles, then this is the place to go. The only drawback is the lack of toilet facilities on part of it. I guess the other drawback (minor) would be the amount of feces that Kuwait is dumping into the ocean next to the Corniche. So it makes for a smelly walk somedays.


Number Six: The Young Driving Acrobats of Gulf Road (sorry no picture available)
It is amazing what you can see kids doing on Gulf Road. They will stand on the back of their motorcycle at 100 miles per hour; they will pop wheelers and have their head an inch of the road; they will stand straddling two cars. Amazing stuff. I am surprised more people aren't killed, but that is because of the "specialness" that is Kuwait.

Number Seven: The Delivery Services that are available

Besides stinky old McDonald's, you can have almost anything delivered to your home in Kuwait. You don't even have to tip the delivery man. Just throw your loose change at him, just like a local. It is so great to be rude! Rude rules! Speaking of which, I think I need a pizza.
So if you find yourself in Kuwait, check out its amazing Seven Wonders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home