In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Year of the Rat Reading 11: "Passionate Nomad: The Life of Freya Stark"


Many people have never heard of Freya Stark. Fifty years ago you might not have said that but today who has? I have but only because I live in the Middle East. So for this summer's purchases I bought an biography of her (as well as a bunch of her books).
What mostly intrigued me about her originally was the fact that she spent a lot of time in Yemen. She actually went there later in her career. She started off late in life in the Middle East and she was once tough cookie. She also wore big hats. I won't hold that last bit against her.
So next time your female travel companion complains because the room isn't clean enough or that there were rats and cockroaches crawling over him in the night, send her a copy of this book. Then she will understand what being a tough broad is.
Read the book to find out the rest.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home