In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Countries, Territories, assorted rare states I have visited 6



I was sixteen and my dad let me buy a Playboy magazine! We were in West Germany, in a small border town that had an alcohol supermarket. Some of my family from Denmark were looking for liquor. They were going to sneak as much across the border as possible. My Danish relatives knew that someone would get caught on the way back, but that was the price that had to be paid for cheap booze. They bought their stash, put bottles in purses, pockets and pouches. I only carried my Playboy, in German no less. When the border guards came on, everyone declared they weren't carrying extra liquor. He "believed" most people, but then asked a few people to open their bags. When he discovered extra alcohol, they had to get off the bus and pay a tariff. The rest of the Danes--my family included--avoided the tax. There was no tax on nude women, however, this being the Danish border and all. All in all, I found West Germany in 1982 to be an amazing place. I must have spent two hours there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home