In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Sunday, July 22, 2007

BIFF, Day Three


Okay, so ask yourself this: can someone possibly watch too many movies in one day? If youare searching for an answer it is this: Yes! Four is too many. At about two and a half my neck was saying: "What in the hell is going on?" My bladder was just happy to have a break from time to time. And let me tell you: there are way too many advertisements before movies in Thailand. One session today went on for thirty minutes!

But enough of the sore stuff. How about the movies?


Well, I started off with an American film called "Broken English," starring the ever so neat Parkey Posey. I have always been a Posey fan, but this film's reviews weren't the best I have ever read, but I heard her performance made it better, so off I went. I thought it was actually okay in that Hollywood sort of way. It was a romantic comedy, of sorts, about a thirty-something who was still single and the folks were starting to get worried. Parker was that 30-ish woman and she really needed a long term partner and a new career (wait a minute this story is starting to sound familiar). Then out of nowhere a Frenchman arrives and saves the day. Well, kind of. I don't think anyone took a shower in this movie, except after cheating on your husband (but does that count). So do I recommend it: yep, Parker's performance is really good. Plus in the end they leave the stinky old Big Apple and go to the much more visable stimulating Paris (watch out for the dog poop). It was weird, but watching this movie really put me off on New York. If I ever move back to America and become a famous filmmaker, I don't think I ever want to move there.

The second movie I saw was called "Free Zone," and was from Israel (or "the land across the river" as we say in Arabic). It was about a woman who takes a car to an area of Jordan where cars are bought and sold duty free throughout the Middle East (a real place, that I had never heard of). In the end we learn a few things about the Israelis and Palestinians (like Israelis are rude and Palestinian women are much more attractive) and we get to see Natalie Portman cry. It was an okay film. The director was there to speak to the crowd. I learned a little, but not too much, but it was definitely the best Israeli movie I have ever seen (now my count stands at two).


The third film was about water polo (?) and the 1956 Hungarian Revolution against Soviet occupation. It was called " Children of Glory." This one kind of reminded me of "The Unbearable Lightness of Being," in its political content, but the overall story was so much less philosophical. It was enjoyable though, in that European kind of way (there was female underarm hair--another word for "super-sexy" if you ask me--to confirm its Europeaness). I would like to know more on the real historical context of the lead characters since it ends without you really knowing what happens to the female protagonist. I liked the fact that the film spoke of the power of liberty, making it something worth fighting for. That is kind of a message that we don't hear anymore, except in partisan political discussion.

Last, but not least, I finished my day watching the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?" Turns out it was the same person who shot both Mr. Burns and J.R. Well actually, it wasn't just them, but everyone else that you can imagine as well. It was a good documentary, raising important questions about what role government and business should play with one another. It strangely ended on an optimistic note, which I thought was a good choice for the director.

All in all, a good day. Had some ramen noodles to give myself the needed energy to keep going. But as Scarlett O'Hara said: "Tomorrow is another day." And I will get to see more movies then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home