In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Year of the Golden Pig Reading 16: "The Consolations of Philosophy"

I am a lucky man. I get to read philosophy and history books and get this: I am paid to. Actually that last part isn't true, but I do justify my expensive book buying on the fact that I am a teacher. I still believe that teachers should be the smartest people in their community. Based on the evidence, though, I'd said we've got a ways to go.
I started this book about a week ago. It was an amazing read. I now want to go out and read all of the authors that are mentioned in the text, particularly Montaigne's essays. The author, Alain de Botton, feels that philosophy is not about sounding smart and looking cool (someone called philosophy the new rock and roll), but about using it to helps us solve life's problems. By looking at five different philosophers, de Botton, does just that. He helps us cope with the difficulties of life, whether it is the loss of a loved one, not being smart or rich enough, or just learning to understand our purpose in life.

One of the concepts I teach in philosophy is the process of living and doing philosophy. I think this book will help me in the process in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home