In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Year of the Golden Pig Reading 14: "I am Legend"


A few months ago I read about a movie that Will Smith is going to come out with called "I am Legend." It is about the last man alive in a world full of vampires. I also read the story was by a famous science fiction writer, who penned such works as "The Incredible Shrinking Man" and the short story that become the movie "Duel." Since this two pieces became two of my favorite movies, I decided to look for this one. Well yesterday, I finally found it. It turned out to be only about 160 pages long, so today I decided to take it easy and just read all day.

Surprising, this book had already been made into a movie, another one of my favorites, "The Omega Man." The book was quite different though. It is about a man who is trapped in his house surrounded by vampires who want him to come out all the time (to play perhaps). The vampire plague started after a war broke out. There have been an increase in dust storms since the war. Well everyone died. The man, the sole survivor of humanity, has an immunity to what is causing vampirism.

Actually this was an excellent book. I just wish it had been about a 100 pages longer. The ending is intriguing, but it could have been developed into a whole other novel or story. I will have to go online to see if the author did just that.

Well, now I wonder what they will do with the movie. I like Will Smith, but this needs to be a serious film, not as light-hearted as Will can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home