In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Year of the Rat Reading 18: "The Woman who Laughed at God"


I got into Middle Eastern history a long time ago when I started examining the Bible. The Bible led me to the Israel-Palestinian conflict and this in turn led me to examine both Judaism and Islam. So you can see my reading interests. This book is by an author I have really enjoyed. I read biographies of David and Moses that he had previously written and another one on the Bible. This one is mostly about Judaism is the post Biblical years.
I learned a lot about what it means to be a Jew and how it is often hard to pin down. The word Israel means "One who wrestles with God." In this way, I guess anyone who wrestles with God is a Jew, though Jews are a little more demanding.
This book looks at classical Judaism and how Jews have had to deal with Christians who for the most part aren't very Christ-like. I recommend it highly. It also gave many new topics to examine.
Shalom.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home