In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Goals


When I came to Kuwait I really had two goals. The first was to help my mother financially in the last years of her life. I think it is important to practice a bit of filial piety as one matures. So I did that until my mother passed away almost two years ago. I was lucky to be able to do this.
My second goal was to pay off my student loan. I think I have finally done that as well, but will wait until the 13th of November to see if Sallie Mae sends me one last bill. It might be over, since they did send me a letter saying as such, but I want to see if there is any outstanding interest.
I guess I have other goals as well. I wanted to become a better teacher before coming here and I guess I have gotten a wee bit better, especially at not yelling at the little whippersnappers. I yelled a lot my first year here. Just calm down and let things blow over is my new motto. The kids are generally pretty good here but they talk too much and don't take studying that seriously.
Another goal I had before arriving here was learning Arabic. I suck at learning languages, but that is really no excuse. I am also incredibly lazy and lack daily discipline. This is something I really need to work on in my remaining decades in Kuwait.
I also am really interested in Islam and have often thought of converting. But I always hesitate. I came close a few years ago but then backed away. Maybe that is something to seriously consider in the next few years. The only problem I have with Islam is the attitude of so many Muslims. Some of them are so full of hatred that I really don't want to surround myself with that. Some remain incredibly stupid and bigoted about the world around then and even about their own faith. I can't blame that on Islam though. It is really just the practitioners. I have met my fair share of bad Christians in my day as well.
Film has always fascinated me and I have often considered taking a course. I signed up for one a few years ago but never did attend. I am thinking of going again next summer, in Paris, France, especially if the Euro keeps getting weaker against the dollar. This is more just me trying to be the artist I used to want to be, but art still means a lot to me.
A strange goal I have recently developed is to travel less. Yes less. I love travelling but I want to learn to be happy standing still. I need to find my place in the world and I won't do this by bouncing all over the place. I have recently been thinking of leaving here and that gets the emotions flowing. I guess there are good reasons to leave but also quite a number of great ones to stay. I am thinking of trying out this goal this winter break by not going anyway, just staying in Kuwait. I know everyone will consider me mad, but the weather is so amazing now and will be great in December.
If I do stay for the month off, I will be able to work on another goal that has been killing me slowly: being a big fat ass. I really need to drop a ton or two. I went for a two hour walk tonight and really enjoy that. I really just need to walk more, eat less and drink more water. Hopefully I can focus on that.
My final goal is not keeping me up at night, but I used to really want to be a father. I am definitely not moving in that direction, and at 43, one has to wonder if this one will ever come true.
So those are some goals to think about over the next year or so.

2 Comments:

Blogger khany said...

hello mr. e,

i can assure there are plenty of sensitive, intelligent muslims out there. i happen to know a few personally :)

god says in the quran:
(005:008)
O ye who believe! stand out firmly for Allah, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just: that is next to piety: and fear Allah. For Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do.

(060:008)
Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just.

don't let muslims distract you from islam. there is a beautiful prayer in the quran:
(060:005)
"Our Lord! Make us not a (test and) trial for the Unbelievers, but forgive us, our Lord! for Thou art the Exalted in Might, the Wise."

unfortunately, many muslims today are repelling by their example those who are otherwise interested in islam. god willing, you will be able to look beyond the failings of muslims to islam itself.

may god guide us to the straight path.

4:20 PM

 
Blogger Jeff Lindstrom said...

Khany,
Thanks for the verses. I appreciated them. I wasn't trying to slam Islam, just some of the Muslims I see in Kuwait. I know there are many great people out there living Islam to its fullest.
Thanks for caring.

11:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home