In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Friday, October 24, 2008

The Year of the Rat Reading 23: "Arts of Southeast Asia"


I like Southeast Asia. I really need to move there someday. Something about the cultural is really appealing. Perhaps it is the artistic feeling that pervades the region.
When I first went to Thailand a few years ago I started this book. Some books just take longer than others to complete. This one deals with the influences that have affected arts in the region. It looks at indigenous, Hindu, Buddhist, Islamic, Chinese and modern influences that have helped make Southeast Asian art so special.
One thing that is fun to do when travelling is purchase a piece of art. I have quite a number of things that I picked up in that region. One of my favorite is a Buddhist alms bowl that I bought in Bagan, Myanmar. I am sure I spent too much but I really like it. It currently sits on my table. I also have quite a large puppet of Gangesh that I bought in Myanmar. I bought that from some dissedents. I paid too much for sure on that one but I was helping them in their struggle for freedom.
So get to Southeast Asia. It is amazing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home