In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Countries, Territories, assorted rare states I have visited 8


Viva Mexico! It was 1989, I had just arrived to Abiline, Texas in my brand new used 1987 Hyundai. I had left Japan only a month earlier and now I was headed to Dyess Air Force Base. A new job, a new car, a free weekend. What to do? I didn't know anyone yet and my roommate was gone (but the room was piled full of his stuff). Gas was cheap and Mexico seemed kind of close (only a four hour drive away). So I decided to drive to the border.

The drive itself was very interesting. Winding deep into the West Texas countryside, stopping for a steak and iced tea, hearing people talk in that funny Texas way. Finally I arrived at the border, parked my car and walked across to Cuidad Acuna. Small but nice. I saw sobreros, a plaza and lots of nicknacks. I bought a painting of a saint and a Mexican comic book. The money felt weird and I didn't drink the water.

I spent the night on the American side. The next day I bought some Mexican car insurance and drove along the Rio Grande river. Then I headed back to Abilene. When Monday morning rolled around I found out that I had broken air force rules by going so far without being on leave. Oops. Nothing happened to me so it was okay. I have never been back there but someday I must go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home