In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Top Five Greatest Upsets of all freaking time


Number 5 (1948) The Israelis beat the Arab Horde
Okay, so the Jews had God playing on their team, so this one might not be fair. Their team, though, took a lot of hits in the 1930's and 1940's, so no one thought they would come back and win. But after a difficult first half, they managed to pull off an upset for the ages.

Number 4 (1980) USA Hockey team beats Soviet Union in Winter Olympics
Okay, so it is for a sport that no one likes. But even I was excited by this one. Since then, I don't think I have ever watched a hockey game. Please don't make me.

Number 3 (1975) The Vietcong beat the USA in Men's Bullet Shooting and Embassy Evacuation World Championships
Everyone was stunned at this one. The Americans had an amazing record coming into this event. They only had one tie against a feisty North Korean team, but that was way back in the the 1950-53 competition. The USA team was fit, trim, well armed, but yet, somehow they couldn't pull it off. Many experts say you have to give the victory to Coach Ho Chi Minh, who was technically dead when the victory was achieved. Yet his memory seemed to fire up the young men on his team. Kind of like an Asian Knute Rockne Story.

Number 2 (1969) The Jets Beat the Colts 16-7 in Superbowl III
This is my first sports memory, and it is a good one. I was three and a half and Joe Namath predicted this victory. No one believed the AFL could pull it off, but when the smoke had cleared, the victory that Namath predicted came true. Then he went on to make shaving cream commercials, wear panty hoses and light up Broadway. Hey, we all make mistakes. But this upset is definitely a keeper.

Number 1 (2006) Crash wins Best Picture at Academy Awards
It looked like Brokeback Mountain had it all sewn up, but then out of nowhere "BAM"! Just like a car crash, you can never prepare for it. I don't even know if Ang Lee had his airbag on. Well Brokeback Mountain still won a few awards, but not the big one. I was shocked. Still am, actually. I need to call my insurance agent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home