In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Friday, December 22, 2006

Colombo: "Oh, just one more thing."


Arrived last night. Four hours late. Believe it or not there was fog in Kuwait. All flights were delayed. One of my friends was heading to the states via London, so she was late in Kuwait and now she is stuck in London. Not a great way to spend Christmas.


The flight over wasn't too bad. Nice food and leg room, though the plane was crowded. I was flying with a few colleagues, but they are beach people and I am not, so we went our separate ways. Upon arriving at the airport, I said I was excited about the possibility of seeing so many Kuwaitis working in Sri Lanka, since so many Sri Lankans work in Kuwait. Surely there is some kind of workers exchange program, since there aren't that many Kuwaitis working in Kuwait. I just assume most of them are working in Sri Lanka.


Got to my hotel, got a nice room, went to the bathroom and the floor was covered in water. I was tired, so I would mention it in the morning. At 2 a.m. there was water coming into my room. I mopped it up with a towel and went back to bed. Seems like a pipe was broken in the wall and was leaking through. The hotel staff was nice and gave me another, much nicer room. No complaints from me.


Today was a lazy day. Woke up and had breakfast, changed rooms, walked along the beach at Mr. Lavinia, sweat a lot. I forgot about this humidity thing. Tonight I am going to buy a new backback and have dinner. Found out through the guidebook that all of the museums are closed today anyway. So not too worried about missing out. Did manage to walk to the old governor general's mansion which is now a nice hotel. I met a few scammers along the way, but nothing like some places where I have visited. My taxi driver said the touts here want your money today and tomorrow, so they aren't too pushy and crooked, unlike those I met in Egypt. He did warn me about Kandy, though.


Sunday I am off to Kandy. I'd better be careful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home