In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Saturday, June 16, 2007

There is just something about me and books...

Today something totally unexpected happened: I found some English books! Okay, so that is not the most amazing thing in the world, but I was worried I would run out of books. Usually I take too many books on vacation, but this time I decided to just take a few. Well the way I have been reading that means I would run out before the end of the summer. I went to a few bookshops here but they mostly sold things like abridged versions of "Little House on the Prairie." I wasn't that excited about learning more about Laura Ingalls and her family.

Today after class, I went walking past the bus station (on my way to the internet cafe). There was a bookstand there. I found some amazing old books. I ended up buying a history book by Barbara Tuchman. I already have a copy of it in Kuwait, but I will donate the one I bought to the library when I get home.


Then a man pointed me to this little shed that had even more books. There were quite a number of intriguing ones there. Too bad there were really any about Yemen or the Middle East. I was hoping to find more of that sort of thing here.


Class went well today. I am learning to tell time. Let me tell you it isn't easy. My teacher thinks I am progressing nicely though, mostly because I have been relearning stuff I had already learned on my own. Tonight I have a lot of studying to do.


In other exciting news, I almost finished the biography of Descartes I am reading; I talked to my friend Paul about religion; I did laundry (missed a dirty sock), but the power went out halfway through (the power does that around here; I missed the ending to a really bad police drama the other day); and I ate some Indian leftovers from yesterday. All and all it was a pretty awesome day.


Cheerio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home