In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Greetings from Yemen




Well I have arrived. I am now in Sana'a, a city that was founded by one of Noah's sons after the Great Flood. (Or so the story goes.) I am living in an old house in the Old City. I am really near the New City (that is where I am now). The Old City of Sana'a is a United Nations protected site. It is like walking in a museum. So much history all around me.


Started my lessons yesterday. I am in a private course (not my original intentions), so I have two hours of lessons a day with Badi'a, a rather nice Yemeni gentleman. Yesterday was mostly review but I found it a little stressful, since I have never had an ear for language. I was also very tired yesterday since I live in a building surrounded by noisy children. Last night I slept well, though, since I had earplugs.


Most of the women here are completely covered except for their eyes. I don't know if this makes their eyes more beautiful but they really seem to be beautiful. I met a student who goes to a Yemeni art society. He said the women there were uncovered. So I look forward to seeing art and faces.


Well I must run. I have class in about an hour and must buy some mango juice before that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home