In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Friday, June 08, 2007

Year of Reading 8: "Sugar Street"

There are certain advantages to having the temperature go over 110 F. degrees. One of them is reading opportunities. Yesterday, I needed to read 145 pages in "Sugar Street" to complete the Cairo Trilogy, so I read 145 pages. It is not like I wanted to go outside into the oven.

I wanted to finish the Cairo trilogy before I leave for Yemen in about four hours. "Sugar Street" focused more on the grandchildren and their loves and lives. The patriarch is in decline and no longer dominates the story.

This trilogy was really wonderful, since it focused on so many great issues of life. I learned more about the Middle East than from many history books. Again if you have the time and patience to read all 1313 pages I highly recommend it. If you read thirteen pages a day you can finish in 101 days. That doesn't seem to bad when you put it that way.

Well I will write more from Yemen. Have a lovely summer. Today the high in Sanaa will be a lovely 78 F. Of course I have to pack a sweater since the low today was 39 F.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the weather here in Seattle. I'm cold now, but by the time I walk home this evening, it'll be in the 70's.

Bon Voyage!

Hey, do you have a camera yet? If not, get one and take some pictures of Yemen for us, will ya?

-John

7:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home