In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis: I hardly knew you

I can honestly say that I didn't really respond to Elvis' death 30 years ago. I wasn't a big fan of his and that summer when I was 11 I was more interested in seeing "Star Wars" a few more times.

I really only knew Elvis from all of those horrible movies that were on tv all of the time. In those days before cable there wasn't really much on tv, but you could always find an Elvis movie, and I avoided those like the plague.

It is sad now to think what Elvis must have been going through. He had so much talent and was hamstrung by the Colonel. If there is a musical heaven then the Colonel must surely be in Hell.
I was thinking about Elvis yesterday while I was listening to the re-release of the Travelling Wilbury's cds. Bob Dylan was singing some amazing stuff on there (and his newest cds are amazing). I started thinking, what would Elvis be singing now? He could have been something else into his 50's and 60's, but he will always be 42.

A friend came up with a movie once about what if Elvis were still alive. I remember her giving me a tape that purported that he was still alive somewhere, recording new songs but not releasing them. I think that would be nice. But when is he going to release that new songs?

Elvis had the same birthday as my mother. I wonder if my mom has now met him in Heaven. Maybe they are singing a gospel song together. That is a nice thought anyway.
Well goodbye Elvis. I hope you are doing as well as possible. Now I like you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home