In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Year of the Golden Pig Reading 23: Burmese Days

When travelling I like to read works that I am currently interested in. I couldn't think of anything that intrigrues me more at this moment than a novel on Burma. This one was by George Orwell. Actually it is the second book I have read by him (the other being "Animal Farm"; believe it or not I have never read "1984"). It deals with life in a small Burmese town and all of the difficulties of living there. It is particularly about a man named Flory, who suddenly decides to get married. He is friends with an Indian doctor and this causes a lot of trouble with the other English in town. They think he is a Bolshevik.
Reading at this time was very opportune, but it still hasn't made my mind up about next year. Believe it or not I am still sitting on the fence. Part of me wants to go but another part tells me I still have a few more good years in me in Kuwait. I just don't know what I am going to do. I guess I should decide in a few weeks.
Be warned this novel doesn't have a happy ending. I guess you really shouldn't expect one with Orwell. At least there was no rat in your face.
Well toodles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home