In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Riots and Pork


There was a riot last night in Kuwait. I kid you not. The tribes are in revolt! Seriously. Kuwait still has tribes. Some kids asked me if we had tribes in America. I said "We used to, but we killed most of them." They were confused. I still don't understand the complete issue, but Kuwait is in full election mode. The parliament has stepped down and the Islamists and the tribes are trying to create a different type of Kuwait. I really think they are on the verge of screwing up a pretty good deal.
From what I understand, the Islamists want to enact shariah law in Kuwait and the tribes want to have job guarantees (which in Kuwait means you will be guaranteed your daily cups of tea when you come in that hour of work every day). Sounds like a pretty good deal. I wish I had to only work one hour a day. (And by work, I mean: drink tea.)
Then on top of everything else I went to a restaurant last night and they were cooking this funny looking meat besides my table. I really looked like piggly wiggly. And indeed it was. I was really shocked. I have never ever seen pork in public in Kuwait. I won't tell you where it was but I really was surprised. The waiter asked me if I wanted some. I said no thanks. It was like he was offering me a joint.
So the Islamists will have their work cut out for them if they do take over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home