In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Year of the Ox Reading 8: "The Thai Resistance Movement during World War II"


I never really knew much about Thailand during World War Two. They were invaded by Japan and then they became allies with Japan. That's about a much as we get in history books. So when I picked this one up I was kind of excited. I shouldn't have been. This has all of the makings of the research that is needed to write a good book, but this really isn't my cup of tea in history books. Too many details on the leaders but nothing about life in Thailand during the time. I think a more balanced approach would have been to include the reasons why there was a resistance needed against the Japanese. How were the people of Thailand affected by the war? This book tells you none of those things. Many it doesn't set out to do these things, but it could have been much better if it had.
Well there you have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home