In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Back in Kuwait


Ahlan wa salan: Welcome back to Kuwait. Well I have been here for about a week. I am so happy to be back. I have had a great summer, but now it is time for some teaching. I really love my job here. I just hope this year is as great as last.

The weather: well it's hot. It has been over 50 degrees celcius the last few days, so I don't spend a lot of time outside. I tried to move a few things to my new room the other day and I thought I would die. I must carry water everywhere.

I think this is going to be a good year to explore the Middle East (sans Lebanon of course). Maybe some time in Yemen and Oman are in order. Yemen now has a situation where you can get a visa at the airport, which is great. I am thinking of Christmas there, unless I do an Arabic course this school year, which would be a great way to spend my evenings.

I got a new neighbor, which is great. He is a friend from my first day here. We were roommates at the New Park Hotel when we arrived three years ago, and now I don't have to smell marijuana smoke , like I have had to the last few years because of my former neighbor. Praise the lord, Allahu Akbar.

This year I am teaching three different classes: 10th grade Humanities, which will focus mostly on government in history; Philosophy, which is the ultimate dead-white guy kind of course; and Theory of Knowledge, which is an okay class where kids think a lot about thinking. Should be great fun. And it looks like my classes will be smaller this year as well. I like teaching here, but sometimes the whippersnappers are a little noisy. So maybe smaller classes will keep me sane.

I have met a few new teachers. I am sure they are confused now and are wondering what they have gotten themselves into. I hope they like there time here.

On the beard front: it is still coming in. Today I was wearing an old baseball cap and an Atlanta Braves tee shirt and I looked like such a big redneck. But I guess it is what's inside that counts.

Well cheerio.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teaching TOK!! Didnt know there were IB schools here in Kuwait. My wife and I taught IB/MYP/PYP but now back to GCSE and AS!! where are you teaching?

11:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home