In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Friday, January 18, 2008

Year of the Golden Pig Reading 25: "The Israelis"

You might be wondering why I am still reading books for the Year of the Golden Pig. Well the new Chinese year doesn't start until February this year, so I have a little time left.

Well I have finished my 25th book, which was my stated goal. The 25th one was a study of what it is like to be an Israeli. It looked at all of the groups that make up the nation, some religious, some secular, some Jewish, some Christian, Muslim or other. It even looked at drug dealers, prostitutes and homosexuals.

It was surprising in many ways, but not particularly revealing unless you knew nothing about the nation. I won't tell my kids I read it since I cannot say the word "Israel" legally in a classroom in Kuwait. Even if I am reporting a news story I am supposed to change the word. We have a problem every year with our class schedule books because they list "Israel" as a proper noun (instead of an improper noun).

I think my kids could learn a lot from this book. For instance, the could learn how many Jews in Israel are also Arabs. The government here wants to tell you only one side of the story and doesn't ever mention how many Jews were kicked out of Arab lands after the 1948 Arab-Israeli war. By focusing on just one side, I guess everyone can feel good about themselves, keep on hating Jews and keep going home and beating up your wife (or wives, perhaps).

I have learned a lot from living here. Unfortunately, I don't know if I can say the same for many people I have been teaching.

Well that might be the last book of the Golden Pig, but I guess there might be time to squeeze a few more in in the next few weeks. Until then, over and out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It would seem there are some hot women in the Israeli army anyway. Always a good sign.

4:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home