In this somewhat less than exciting blog I will examine the adventures that I have in life, mostly in front of the televison, while eating dinner or in my perpetual quest to finish all of my dammed grading. I hate grading!!!

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Year of the Rat Reading 25: "The Presidents: The Transformation of the American Presidency from Theodore Roosevelt to George W. Bush"


I like books about the presidency. I guess I like to watch power. While reading this book I realized that I love watching campaigns but don't really like to focus much on issues that affect the nation. I guess I am a political voyeur. Perhaps this is why I have never joined a political party. (Or maybe I am a secret Johnny Red.)
I guess I learned quite a bit in this book. It made me want to go out and read Tocqueville's "Democracy in America," but I am not sure I will ever get to that.
I wonder what the author will have to say about Barack Obama in his second edition of this work. Surely there will be a second edition. All publishers do that nowadays. They get you for thirty more pages of new text but then you have to slog through the 710 pages of text that you have already read just in case there is something new.
Speaking of Obama, I think he is doing an excellent job so far. A friend of mine is hoping he will be less successful than Hoover. I hope he is the greatest president ever. God knows the world really needs a good one. Since we run everything it would be nice to have someone we can all look up to.
Well have a nice day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home